Lone Star Tick
Amblyomma americanum: Taxonomy | Photographs
- Kingdom: Metazoa ((=Animalia) multicellular animals)
- Phylum: Arthropoda (arthropods)
- Class: Arachnida (spiders, harvestmen, scorpions, mites, etc.)
- Order: Ixodida (ticks)
- Family: Ixodidae (hardbacked ticks)
- Genus: Amblyomma
- Species: Amblyomma americanum
- Common Names: Lone Star Tick
Click on each picture to display the larger, higher-resolution image.
Amblyomma americanum - Unfortunately, this female lone star tick had already embedded her mouthparts into Josh's skin by the time she was discovered. A few minutes after this photo was taken, the tick was carefully removed. The large spot ("lone star") on the center of the female tick's back makes it easy to identify this species and gender.
All photographs are copyrighted by their photographers.
Lake Overstreet Extension - Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park
March 12, 2005
Photo contributed by Josh Hillman
© 2000 - 2007 FloridaNature.org